What is Email marketing?
To put it in its most simple terms, email marketing is when a company gets your emails address, either via a sign up box for their newsletter or by offering you some content or free item in exchange for you giving them your email address, so they can send you email correspondence and let you know about their latest deals or offerings.
You then get these emails delivered directly to your inbox.
What tools are available for Email Marketing?
Aweber is one of the most popular email marketing providers due to its user friendly functions, clear and reasonable pricing and its features.
- Clear and easy to read layouts
- Drag and drop features within emails, making even simple emails look professional
- Automation of funnels
- Have different sequences of emails sent depending on how the subscriber signed up
- Change the emails that they receive depending on the emails they open and links that they click
- Schedule emails to go out on specific days so that all of your marketing can be planned in advance
- Easy to create and integrate sign up forms for your website or social media
- Clear analytics showing what emails perform best and what links are clicked within them
- Easy opt-out for your subscribers to keep you compliant with data protection regulations
To name but a few.
Aweber also come with a 30 day free trial so you can test out some of its features before committing to a monthly payment, this will also give you a chance to figure out what style of campaigns you would like to run so you can choose the appropriate plan.
Aweber is popular due to its pricing policy being dependent on your subscriber numbers rather than the features you use:
The more subscribers you have, the more you will pay, but you have access to all of the features regardless of what plan you choose.
You can also review your subscriber list at any time so that if you notice you have subscribers that don’t open emails or are not engaging with your content, you can manually remove them.
If you only send emails infrequently you will still have to pay the monthly subscription fee.
So someone with 499 subscribers (basic package) that sends daily emails will pay the same as someone who sends 1 email.
Your pricing plan will change as soon as you go above the threshold of your existing plan, so if you have a blog post that goes viral (which would be excellent) and 10,000 people sign up for your email list you might see you plan jump from $19/month to $149/month. so be prepared when you publish all your awesome content.
We’d love to tell you that your new postman is a chimp, in a really cute outfit, with a happy smiley face to greet you with your parcels, but unfortunately it’s not.
Well, it is, but via email and without the cute outfit.
Mailchimp is an email marketing tool that is extremely popular with small businesses around the globe and is a popular choice for those who are getting started in email marketing as they have a free option which allows you up to 2000 subscribers and allows you to send up to 12,000 emails each month without having to pay.
It also has a number of features*
- Landing pages for individual campaigns
- Customised email campaigns
- Pop up forms
- Google remarketing ds
- Facebook & Instagram ads
- Automate a number of features such as welcome emails and marketing campaigns
- Optimised reports for analysis
- Unlimited emails for Pro and Gro plans.
*not all features are available on all plans.
If you are just starting out and would like to get to know what features are available and what kind of campaigns you might like to run, Mailchimp is a great starter tool so that you can find your feet without having to commit to a paid plan
The main advantage of the paid plans is the unlimited emails feature so if you have a small list but would like to send high volumes of emails then you can check them out.
If however, you have a list under 2000 and are not sending high volumes of emails,you may want to ensure that you stay under the 12,000 (approximately 1 email/week per subscriber) so that you remain on the free forever plan.